maanantai 4. toukokuuta 2015

From razor to guillotine



A remainder of something known as Occam's razor

In a clip filmed for FCF before the Continuation War wrestling show you can see parts of a training session at which I taught Mr Ricky Vendetta a few facts about grappling. It’s not just about what to do, but what to avoid as well. For instance, after I’ve taken Ricky down – notice the leverage; very catch-as-catch-can style, or martial arts if you will – I “lay back” instead of rushing into a cluster of potential techniques I would try to do. By relaxation and sensitivity I constantly stay alert, know what’s about to happen and turn Ricky’s efforts into traps that’ll work to my advantage. 
 
When Ricky tries to do the same to me – put me down and keep me there – he has problems with the bursts of brute force he uses: they’re not very effective for my defence is pyramid-like, and it's very difficult to flip an object like that to say the least. At one point I do choose to go down, but only to roll through and as he tries to gain control on the mat I’m able to get up, or bring us both up really, by leaning onto him. Using the Occam principle helps me save the fuel so I’ll have more of it left for whatever may come next; more than the opponent anyway.

If you watch(ed) our match against Jami Aalto and Joey Impact you could see that what I kept doing was this: I make my move, go for a pin, can’t get it yet but force the opponent to use a significant amount of his energy for the kickout, then I do the same all over again. This is exactly how a constrictor would work on his pray. (Ricky, the Doberman he is, wasted too much time barking=showing his attitude while he could have moved directly towards finishing either Aalto or Impact.) Why gamble when you can simply have the opponent’s liver on a stick?

It’s like I drive the enemy before me into a canyon that gets more and more narrow offering him less and less room for his actions. Finally there’s nothing but a dead end. Another example of efficient strategy was Jimmy Gavroche’s wrestling in his bout against Valentine at the show; it’s been some time since I saw anybody use headlock as a weapon not only for handling the situation but to make it count regarding the outcome of the whole match.

Even when wielding the razor one must never forget what Einstein had as his whetstone: simple is good only as long as you get the results. Not going all the way but preferring to take a shortcut actually cost Vendetta the victory at Continuation War. Always remember to crush the enemy, then make sure he won’t come back with a vengeance.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti